Sunday, August 9, 2009

Yes, I killed him. I killed him for money - and a woman - and I didn't get the money and I didn't get the woman. Pretty, isn't it?

Tonight Holly and I finished up Billy Wilder's film noir classic Double Indemnity. This film is ranked 29 on AFI's list; It's traveled up nine spaces since the original voting.

This is a film that makes you cherish old Hollywood, while at the same time laughing at some of the old stereotypes of the time. The culture and values of Double Indemnity have gone the way of the dinosaurs. It's slightly funny and a little bit sad, when the only people working in Neff's office are men, and the only blacks are car washers and platform operators. This film is a time capsule.

But, I guess, one can say that about any old film, especially one that is a film noir. I've not watched many films in this genre, but when I first say this movie in video production class (waaaay back in year 2000) I was informed by my very knowledge teacher that this was the top of the genre. Whether or not this the "best" of its genre is not for me to say, but I suspect he is correct. This is a great film because it so perfectly creates the drama between Neff and Mrs. Deitrichson. Their relationship is at once so simple and so complicated, a viewer can see this film multiple times, without totally being able to wrap their finger around their motives or feelings for each other. While the film clearly portrays Deitrichson as the corrupting "femme fetal", Neff's motives are much less clear. Does he love her? If so, why exactly? There is much evidence throughout the film to suggest that he doesn't really care that much for her. Or does he?

The other main aspect of this film worth mentioning is the performance by Edward G. Robinson as Neff's nagging boss Keyes. His is possibly my favorite of the film; the character is the funniest and most endearing. The last lines of the film are just heartbreaking:

Walter Neff: Know why you couldn't figure this one, Keyes? I'll tell ya. 'Cause the guy you were looking for was too close. Right across the desk from ya.
Barton Keyes: Closer than that, Walter.
Walter Neff: I love you, too
.
This is just an all around great film. It's of course cheesy- and one could even make the case- as you could with all film noir- that It's quite misogynistic. But, if you can look past that, you're in for an entertaining two hours. I highly recommend!






No comments: